View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
yorkipower
BANNED!

Default Answer? Reasons for paw licking

It could be from a number of things, so the first thing I’d do is have your pup checked by your vet. For example, a benign cause could be allergies to something on the grass. All my dogs start licking each winter from the salt people dump on the sidewalk. Allergies are not uncommon with Schnauzers. Your pup may be exposed to an allergen on the street and his response is to lick. He might also have something stuck in his pads. Fur, for example, needs to be trimmed on dogs feet or else the hair can ball up and become uncomfortable. Check, too that no forign object like plant matter, or a pebble is stuck between the pads. Check his nail length and make sure the nails are kept short; long toenails can be painful!

Conversely, for some dogs, licking is a “tick.” So if it isn’t something physiological, it could be psychological. Just like people, dogs can be obsessive compulsive about things. We have a Poodle who self-mutilates. He is a rescue who spent most of his life living in a kennel. When we got him, he had no idea what grass was and could not negotiate stairs or even doorways. He must have spent his time nibbling on his fur and licking his paws. He is also an epileptic and just in general, a very nervous, fidgety dog. My nickname for him is the “pudgy pathetic Poodle.” If I were to let him, he too, would lick his paws raw. I always have a steady supply of “Bitter Apple” on hand, which I spray on his paws as soon as the licking starts. He is so used to the routine now, he’ll stop the licking as soon as he sees the bottle, precluding the need to actually spray his paws with it! Some behavior modification was needed with him too, essentially, teaching him that the world is not as big and as scary place as he seemed to believe it to be. At 14, I think he’s starting to believe me! It only took 5 years! Lol.

So, in a nutshell:
Find out why your dog is licking first by ruling out any medical conditions (even dry skin could do it). If it isn’t medical it may be a patterned behavior and needs to be handled much the same way as nail biting in humans; you may wish to consult a pet behaviorist or dog trainer. Your vet could also prescribe a medication such as “clomicalm” in conjunction with the behavior modification.
yorkipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!