View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 11:09 AM   #11
Hickey007
YT 500 Club Member

I think no matter what method of training you use the key is consistancy. Show dogs are worked with a lot so their training is ongoing so to speak. They are worked with about every day(I would think) in situations that are really distracting for a dog.

We took our bloodhound to a training class that our park and rec offered and it was great. We absolutely loved it and they showed us a lot of things that we wouldn't have though of. They taught us how to teach our dog and we got to work with Auburn in an environment that had a lot of distractions (mainly about 15 other dogs not to mention their owners). I wanted to take her at an early age because I heard the breed has a tendency to have aggression issues. We don't work with her as much as we did when we were actually taking her to class (last Oct) so she has lost some of it. She knows what to do she just doesn't do it all the time.

My point in this is that no matter how you train your dog initially keep it up. If you decide to take your dog to a class don't think that once the classes are over your done. Or if you send your dog to a trainer this doesn't mean you won't have to work with your dog at home.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!