View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 10:16 AM   #6
jwash
YT 500 Club Member

I have two yorkies, one is a year old and the other 9 months. Both are well trained. I used a basic reward good behavior approach. And I started when each puppy came to my home, at 10 weeks. For potty training, I did not start with a puppy pad, but I did plan to devote the needed time to take them out every 30 mins or so to start with. Notice I said, take them out, unless you go and encourage and see that he is going potty, you do not know if he is. Yorkies are very smart, so if you are consistent, they will respond. Expect accidents, use a crate that does not allow enough room to potty inside it and don't yell or punish. Pet/caress your dog every day, particularly around the face and feet, this is to get him used to being handled so when you need to start brushing teeth, bathe, brush, etc., your yorkie won't put up a fuss. Also, I never allowed my hands to be used as "toys", just say, I'm not your toy and show him your hands, palm side out, get your toy and we'll play. Get it for him to start, eventually he'll go get his toys when it is play time. This keeps my yorkies from thinking that it is ok to bite at or jump up on someone. Now, if you let him jump up on you or do as my husband, play with his hands, the yorkie gets a mixed message. To leash train, put the leash on and then step backwards a few feet. Encourage with a treat and a little tug and reward as your dog walks toward you. Repeat until he gets it. The same with other tricks, like sit, down, etc. Show him and then reward. Use very tiny amounts, like break a Cherio in half. I use Cherios, a little sliced apple (peeled) and sometimes small pieces of cooked geen beans. I usually don't use their regular food when training. Your puppies do not need a lot of variety, though, so please use treats sparingly. I'd just go with the Cherios at first, I'm talking two or three, broken. Yorkies can also have a problem with barking. While at the dog park, a lady with a beagle would call her dog to her everytime he barked and would whisper in its ear, "we do not bark, no barking, ok". I tried it my yorkies and it worked. I use the same technique to keep them from begging. I bend down, whisper that we do not beg for food and then reward them by putting a small treat in their bowl if they behave. By giving them a lot of love and attention, consistently giving directions and reward, they became great dogs. I could go on but one last hint, feed and send him night night at the same time each day. I do not allow them to sleep with me, they stay in their kennels so I can sleep and they can too. I started with a blanket and a stuffed animal, of course, food and water. Now, I just say it is night night time (8:00) and they go to bed. Hope this helps.
jwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!