View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

Hi:

I am not a breeder and have never witnessed a whelping, but I can say that whether a mommy yorkie "free whelps" a litter or has to have a c-section depends on a lot of factors just as it does with human mommies.

The number of puppies, the size of the female, the structure of the female, a previous c-section...all of these things are considered and determine the need or not as well as situations which may occur during labor such as a breech or a puppy who "gets stuck" or "won't come out".

So, the simple answer is no, not ALL tinies are born by c-section. If you are ever interested in purchasing a puppy born from a c-section, it is important to make sure that the puppy recieved colostrum from some source whether the mother still nursed the puppies or whether colostrom was given in some other way. The colostrum is what protects the puppy and boosts it's immune system from the beginning of its life.

It is not an "accepted" practice to breed tiny females (under 5 lbs) in order to achieve smaller babies. The breeders I have talked to say that you get a "runt" or tiny in almost every litter and that some larger dogs will still "throw" smaller puppies. In fact some of the smallest come from larger dogs who have large litters where several of the puppies are smaller.

The accepted practice is to breed a larger female (over 5 lbs) to a smaller male (2.5 -4 lbs) and get smaller babies that way. It is very dangerous to breed a tiny female (under 5 lbs) and they sometimes require a c-section due to their small size which is never the preferred method of delivery except in an emergency situation.

Hope this helps.
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!