View Single Post
Old 05-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #12
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

Default Thank you!

I started this thread because I was getting so frustrated with non-breeders (pet owners) who complain about the price of puppies, but then I read even some of the breeders were complaining about it and saying "you shouldn't pay $600 for a dog that's not a purebred", etc. I would think these costs are about the same whether the breeder is breeding purebreds or mutts.

I just feel that breeders would be more willing to do what is in the puppies' and the mothers' best interests if they did not have to worry about whether they would be fairly compensated by the "forever family" of that animal. I think we need to be more realistic about the costs involved or else we are no better than the puppymillers and pet stores who only care about the money and not about the health of the dog and his mother and siblings.

For me, it is far more important to make sure I get my babies from a breeder who gave them the very best start in life and provided them with the "best" because that is what I would want. IMO and from what I have read here, $200 puppies (mutt or purebreed) cannot have been properly cared for unless the breeder is wealthy and just raising puppies for purely altruistic reasons.

I know the joy and love I will recieve from that dog for 15 years or so and I feel that is priceless, and when you divide the initial cost of the puppy over that many years, he ends up being very cheap even if you paid $3000. If my math is right, it's less than $2 per day!!

Do you agree with this?
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!