Thread: hernia?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 05:02 AM   #8
luvdorkyyorkies
BANNED!

Hello

I had a puppy with an inguinal hernia that had been watched closely. It was a very noticable lump when it protruded. After the third visit, and a scheduled repair, my vet said he noted it was getting smaller, and suggested a repair be made at spay. The lil girl was a little over 3 months. She had a future owner and I got an estimate on the cost of repair/spay surgery and reduced the cost of the puppy to cover the surgery at spay.
We had instructions to gently reduce the bulge anytime we noted it and look for redness, or any discoloring. If it wasnt reducable then there was a problem too.
That was what was done. By the time the puppy went in for spay at 7 m, the hernia no longer existed. SOmetimes they repair themselves.
That is not always the case though. They can become strangulated such as the above post and require ER surgery. They can die of the condition. SO it can be a dangerous condition and should always be monitored closely and repaired if it doesnt fix itself, unless the vet advises against it for whatever reason.
luvdorkyyorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!