View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 10:46 PM   #26
CC's
YT Addict

First I am glad to see the baby is somewhat better. If he has an open font you'll want to keep a good eye on him.

A few of my thoughts on LS testing and then I will leave it alone. Since this really doesn't help the OP who is worried about her baby. We all hope everything works out the best for him.

As far as the livershunt info. I have supported Terri and the group as best I could since its inception. Its a good cause and has helped many Yorkies to live who otherwise may have had no hope.

My point was that both SBAT and UBAT are only screening tools and not diagnostic tools, further testing would be required if either were abnormal.

SBAT can be elevated by other things such as lipemia and hemolysis.
UBAT are not effected by these. It is sensitive to the liver function itself. It's supposed to have 100% sensitivity.
I hope this could possibly help in reducing unnecessary invasive tests that could be done in false positives from the SBAT.

While I respect Dr. Tobias, I asked her opinion prior to my using the UBAT she told me she could not comment on it due to not having used it.
I also respect Dr. Dodds who is a leader in the field of Vet. medicine as well.

I think more people would screen their dogs if it was an easier procedure than fasting and drawing blood twice from a squirming pup. I think this type of screening is key to slowing down the instances of Yorkies bred and born with liver shunt/mvd.
I know vets who won't do the SBAT on an asymptomatic pup but have no problem with the UBAT. This I would think is the goal. Get as many dogs screened as possible.

It is up to each person and their Vet to make the choice, which is why I didn't think UBAT should be discarded so easily. I am not concerned with the cost. I would pay a higher price for the UBAT because the stress on the pup is my first concern.
I believe all options available to us should be able to be considered.

A dog with symptoms needs all the care we can give no matter what the tests involve.

This is JMO (I am not a Vet) and we all do what we think is best for our dogs.
CC's is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!