View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Suzy
2 Pups=Double Trouble!
Donating Member

Default Be aware-choked on a rawhide!

Please take away rawhide chews from your dogs before they get small enough to fit in their mouths!

We had an incident with Emma last week, and it was SO scary!

She was playing with her Yorkie boyfriend who lives upstairs in another condo in our building, and they were play-fighting over a rawhide chew as usual. (This was the flat, chip type made by Chew-eez, flavored w/chicken, about 4-5 inches long, and 2 inches wide, if you have these.) Anyway, I left the room for awhile to pay some bills, write some emails, etc, and my husband was watching TV in the room with the puppies.

I came out, and saw that Emma had the entire rawhide chip in her mouth!!!(now about 2" x 2" inches) I asked my husband to get it out of her mouth, and he didn't want her to get upset, so he suggested that we do the "bait and switch" and bribe her to drop it with a treat. I went to get a treat, and she was so concerned that her little boyfriend would steal the rawhide while she ate the treat that she tried to SWALLOW the piece of rawhide whole!

She immediately started screaming, like we've never heard before! She then dropped to the ground, and her eyes rolled back and she wasn't breathing! I was completely freaking out, running around trying to find the E-vet # off the fridge and who knows what else, but Andy stayed cool. He first put his finger in her mouth to try and get it out, and ended up getting a little of it-right before she clenched her jaw down and bit him GOOD! (Right between his fingernail and the skin-OW!) She still wasn't breathing, and was limp, so he pushed on her chest, and it dislodged! Thank heaven!

I read some of the doggie CPR stuff on here tonight-and apparently that was exactly the thing to do! I'm not sure how he knew, just instinct, I guess! I urge you all to read up on this so that you can ACT in an emergency like my wonderful, cool as a cucumber husband, and not freak out and run around like a headless chicken like me!

She was dazed afterward, but not as shaken as we were. She had a drink of water, and was back to chasing her boyfriend as if nothing had happened! I called the E-vet anyway just to make sure she was ok, and they confirmed she'd be ok, just to watch her. Andy and I calmed down, just in shock at what had happened, and overjoyed that she was ok! We were so worried!

I vowed to myself that we'd watch her closely when she had rawhide from then on, and then once again today, I gave her a new one of those, and she had the WHOLE THING in her mouth again. Since I can't trust her to chew them normally, we're giving them all to a friend who's dog (unlike Emma) isn't so concerned with someone stealing his bones that he'd choke on them!
Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!