View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Just visited with the puppy. He is showing no signs at all. We called him Rowdy and the name still fits!

I just talked to my vet and he was honest in saying there wasn't really a correct answer we could only speculate. He thinks not to give the vaccine because they lower immunity and may make him more susceptible to the virus, whether its parvo, campylobacter or something else. He didn't feel that a vaccine given at this point could prevent or lessen the virus because it takes time after the vaccination is given to build immunity. He feels that we have a good chance that the last vaccine given was effective in building immunity since the puppy is showing no signs, but incubation period has been known to be as long as 15 days, but not usually in puppies.

He then says, if the dog doesn't have parvo then we would be better to give the vaccine.

I wish I knew if the dog even had parvo. She is over a year and had her annual booster in June. I can't see how it could be parvo, but I know "vaccinated" dogs have come down with what was diagnosed as parvo. She has smelly bloody diarrhea, low white blood cell count, vomiting, but the no fever, low positive on the parvo test and being vaccinated puzzles me - I'm thinking possibly campylobacter. They called the emergency clinic and they said $19 to $21 for a campy test so I am hoping they do that - in fact, I need to call them and offer to pay for it - if it came back as Campy it would be worth the $20.00 to me to know what we are dealing with and would also help their dog since treatment for parvo and campy are very different.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!