View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaschaben
Tough call. If he was exposed to Parvo getting a vaccine today won't prevent him from getting it from the prior exposure. I don't know about making it a lighter case or not. What does your current vet say?

Why don't you give the shots at 6,8,10,&12 weeks? That way the pups can have at least two shots before they go to new homes.
I have done tons and tons of research on vaccines and feel we are overvaccinating our dogs and it is harmful to have too many.

I am very conservative on vaccines and want the puppies to have as few as possible. A vaccine is of no use until the mother's antibodies leave their bodies because the natural immunity destroys the vaccine. So if they're nursing until 7 weeks or 8 weeks I feel they are protected under the immunity received from the mother and I also don't allow anyone to have contact with the puppies at this age. So I feel 10 weeks (because mine nurse so long) is the first vaccine that could be effective. They are 11 weeks before I even place an ad to sell.

I want the vaccines carried out until a minimum of 16 weeks, in fact some vets are even recommending 18 weeks because the pup's natural immunity still isn't allowing an effective vaccine in a small percentage of puppies at 16 weeks. So I would rather start later (in a very controlled environment) and give them longer and still not give over 3 series.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!