View Single Post
Old 05-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
YorkieRose
No Longer a Member

Default costs

You have to back up...the cost of the breed quality female is the first money spent. So you are in the red from day one to the tune of anywhere from $1500 to $3000.
Cost of raising a female to breeding age includes shots, worming, vet checks, food and grooming expenses. Varies, I would say $500
Supplies you need depend on how easy you want it to be on yourself..and comfortable for the mom/pups
3x3 pen..$200...
whelping box, heating, therometer, bedding, clamps etc...$100 maybe

Vet check before breeding is not much...depends on the area. No more then $40 to $75
Stud fee..depends on the area of the country and a pet or show/breeder...I find pet breeders charge more in Florida, then show breeders, but lets be fair and say $500
Cost of feeding a pregnant bitch is not much..we all feed our pets well.

Vet costs depend...xray or sonagram before whelping...$50/$100
Free whelped litter.. $0 vet costs.
After whelping check/oxy shot..$50/$75
Tails/declaws..some vets charge as much as $125 per pup...average is $25/$35
8 week pup check and shot/worm..$50/$100 per pup
12 week...same
Food for 12 weeks...varies
AKC PAPERS...$25 and $2 per pup

As to the breeders time..it is 24 hrs a day like a mom. I may be asleep, but if someone cries I am up. I can not walk out the door and leave for the day without a "sitter"...my husband, the kennel boy as I used to call him.

Now if all goes wrong..add about $2000 to the total above...but that varies from area to area.
I cut alot of these expenses out by doing the tails and shots,my own studs, as most breeders. IMO that is the main reason breeders get them out the door at 6 and 7 weeks...vet cost for shots are very high for some breeders...the other is all the work from 8 to 12 weeks.
YorkieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!