View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
bentley2004
Yorkie Yakker

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers....it really helps to have other Yorkie owners understand the pain you are going through. I just visited with him and he is very weak. He has deteriorated so rapidly since Sunday and I'm a little in shock. Yes, you're right - I was told that a biopsy was the next step and that it would confirm the diagnosis.

The rest is a long story. He was scheduled for a biopsy yesterday (Tuesday) at the surgical center but late Monday night I was referred to an amazing group of internists at another animal hospital and I immediately bombarded them with calls. The lead internist called me early Tuesday morning and they were a bit hesitant to take him in, especially because he was scheduled for a biopsy. However, persistance pays off and they put a call into the surgical center on my behalf. My dilemma was that I did not want to interfere with the biopsy, yet I really wanted to transfer him to the Animal Hospital as I have been told they are the best. The critical care doctor at the Surgical Center sounded a bit upset that I had an internist call her and I think she thought I was undermining her treatment. So, she told me that she thought it was best that I transfer him that morning to the new group of vets. Who knew that a second opinion could be so challenging.

Yesterday morning he was transferred to the animal hospital and the biopsy was rescheduled for this morning. Unfortunately, this morning he was too weak and after all the test results came in (liver, protein, etc), they were pretty certain as to the diagnosis. Honestly, I was a bit relieved as I was a wreck last night. They felt it best to begin treatment immediately, rather than risk the procedure. They have him on fluids and antibiotics and have given him his first shot of prednisone. He is on a high potein/low fat diet and I understand he ate a little this afternoon.

Bentley lay on my shoulder as I whispered in his ear and barely lifted his head. The internist reassured me that he was probably resting, as he was a little bit more alert earlier in the day and would lift his head to look around from time to time. Their prognosis is guarded as his illness is pretty severe. That is the most shocking for me to understand...we were struggling with diarrhea earlier last week and I just don't understand how in just two days he could have deteriorated so rapidly.

I am devastated and have cried endlessly - Now, I am numb and the only thing that is keeping me sane is that I know I am doing everything I possibly can to help him get through this. I hope tomorrow brings some positive news.

Last edited by bentley2004; 10-25-2006 at 09:30 PM.
bentley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!