View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 06:00 PM   #18
satman
Yorkie Yakker

Default 2% Liver Shunt is Inaccurate

The 2% Liver Shunt victims you quoted were statistics compiled in 2001 but were accumulated in the five previous years and they didn't take in account the dogs with MVD/HMD. This percentage has increased drastically in the last several years as the popularity of the Yorkie increased and climbed to the #3 AKC registered dog.

Yorkies have a 36% greater instance of Liver Shunt than all other breeds combined. While you quote all other maladies that could be connected with Liver Disease you seem to set aside the importance and incidence of Liver Shunt in this breed.

I don't have a Liver Shunt dog nor have I ever had one because the breeders I got my Yorkies from make every effort to make sure they don't breed carriers that would produce Liver compromised dogs. They don't allow a puppy to leave their kennel until it's at lease 16 weeks old and they also Bile Acid test each of the puppies before they leave for their forever homes.

I help moderate a Yahoo group that deals with Liver Shunt and MVD/HMD and I've done this for over 10 years. I was also on the board of a group that funded Liver Shunt surgery for those that didn't have the funds to do it themselves. Until you've walked in their shoes you'll never know the grief and heartache they experience. I've sat in the vets office with some of them, having made the trip to U/T myself, and watched them cry their eyes out when they had one of the 5% that don't make it after the surgery. After seeing that I'm not so quick to dismiss the cavalier attitude that most of the disreputable breeders have towards Liver Shunt and related diseases.

I receive hundreds of emails a year from people with Liver Shunt and MVD/HMD dogs. They are looking for answers on how to care for their dogs and ways to fund the necessary surgery if that's required. It's sad, oh so very sad, when they have to put the dog to sleep because the breeder won't assist in the financial burden that's brought to bear on the dog's owner and they can't afford to pay for the surgery themselves. They didn't bargain for a very sick dog when they spend their hard earned money for what was represented to them as a healthy dog. Most breeders just bury their heads in the sand and say it's not their responsibility.

Over the years I've sent over 150 Yorkies to U/T for Liver Shunt surgery since that facility will perform the test and surgery for less than half the cost of other well known veterinary teaching facilities or private veterinary practices.

All the other liver maladies you quoted are but a small percentage of liver disease and don't come anywhere near the incidence of Liver Shunt or MVD/HMD. To give the impression they they account for more than they do is a disservice to the readers of this forum.

To argue back and forth is pointless and doesn't help those that are looking for answers so I'll refrain from continuing this thread. Anyone that wants to contact me for more information can do so privately by emailing me at: satman@inbox.com
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!