View Single Post
Old 05-24-2005, 07:52 AM   #11
Sparky-S
Yorkie Yakker

Smile It works!

I have tried this method, and it works. However, it lasts 2-3 mintues, then he will do the same thing again. I assume that I should be more patient to practice this method. Thanks a lot for the valuable tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clioe
oh yes i know. I thought that too but the trainer said that it's like your mum sending you to your room when you were naughty. The crate is like Sparky's room, and it's a time-out. Of course, he doesn't like it because you are isolating him. And that's the reason for the short time frame ie. 15 seconds. Personally I prefer the baby gate idea. There's more room for the puppy to walk about. Miffy used to cry too. But she's getting used to it. The trainer said that you shouldn't give her attention when she's crying coz she'll learn that if she cried long enough, you will come get her and that is not the idea we want them to get. We are always in charge. Just say uh-oh, send him for a time out, reward with a treat when he's quiet and let him out to play. It helps with building confidence and potty training. The word "uh-oh" tells him that he's done something wrong and that there will be a consequence, which is a time-out, no more play for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help for my new puppy Sparky-im000230.jpg  
Sparky-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!