View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 02:39 AM   #8
MyTrixie143
Mom to 6 Beautiful Furkids

Well I have 5 dogs, soon to be 7. The oldest Peppi who is 8 years old has free roam over the entire house. She is an angel, have absolutely no problems with her. The other 4 don't have full rein of the house yet. They are not quite housetrained, they are very close, and they are in that " I got to get into everything stage." So when I am not in the room or when I am not able to watch them, they go in their playpen. I have two playpens beside each other so they can play, eat/drink, sleep and use the pad there. But they are out most of the time. As time goes on and they are housebroken and learn how to behave they will be out all the time with full rein of the house. We just have not gotten to that point yet. We are getting very close. Trixie has almost full priveladges and Destiny is almost there, she just has to learn not to put everything in her mouth or eat everything she sees.

There is no way I could let them all roam all day through the entire house without them being trained. That is why I have the playpen. I could never house train them all at the same time having them have full rein of the house all day. I would be cleaning accidents and messes up all day. The playpen gives them some restriction when I am not able to watch them. And they are learning what they are allowed to do, the playpen is such a good training tool. It won't be long before they all have full priveladges.

My advice to you is, if your dog is not fully house trained and potty trained, do not give them full access of the house. It is too hard if not nearly impossible to try to train more than one dog when they have full priveladges and are not restricted and are not trained yet. This doesen't mean you keep them in the cage or pen all day. Just when you are not there too put all of your attention on them. It might seem mean penning one dog up and not another, but the dog who is completely trained that has full rein of the house has earned it and the other one should have to earn it too.

For now, concentrate on training one dog, it is much easier and will be quicker. Little girl is trained so you shoulden't have to worry about her. Remmie, in my opinion, is not completely trained yet. If he is still having accidents and still getting into stuff, then he is not fully trained. House breaking them is not enough. They need to learn not to get into everything and to listen to you and do what you ask. So I would work on fully training him which shoulden't take that long since he is already very close. Once he is trained you can let him have full priveladges and access of the house and you can concentrate on training Pixie since you will no longer have to worry about Remmie.

It can be difficult until you are to the point to where they are all trained, but it is well worth it. I love having as many dogs as I do and woulden't trade it for the world.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!