View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
prettypuppypink
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalogirl
Freyja has diarrhea again. It seems that she has had week long attacks of diarrhea every 6 weeks or so since we got her. We always wind up at the vet's. The vet always gives her metronidizol and diarsynal and the diarrhea clears up only to reappear about 6 weeks later. We have not changed her diet. One bout was attributed to an immunization reaction, one was because I gave her a little baby prunes to help her straining with constipation (ha ha ha- fooled me). The others who knows? There is always mucous and a little blood. When she has diarrhea she goes about every 1.5-2 hrs. round the clock, everywhere 3 times in our bed, but she always seems chipper and alert and hungry. I always do the same thing: withdraw food and give water for 24 hrs, then ground hamburger and rice (advice from vet) and then finally wind up at vet. I tried kaopectate (didn't work). I am operating on sleep deprivation now and the vet bills are getting kind of expensive. We love our little baby so much, but I cannot continue to stay up all night with her. I have to go to work. My hubby stays home but he is getting extremely frustated. Help. I am at a total loss as what to do.

I just went through this. The latest lab work was sent to Texas A & M, although I'm on the east coast. The new (third) vet has kept my dog (diagnosed with chronic colitis) on metronizadole (dose depending on weight) and sucralfate for the rest of his life. We went through the whole menu of prescription foods, nothing agreed. It seems rice is intorable for this dog. He is on Kellogg's All bran and diet lean beef boiled 50/50 mix, only the same brand of bottled water.
I'm going through the same with a puppy after an innoculation reaction. I also found that when I changed the puppy's food, needed to do it over a 3 month period. I hope my puppy isn't chronic but haven't decided when to change him slowly back to dog food. A breeder suggested Eagle Pack Holistic Lamb and Rice since he has a sensitive stomach. There is also some Eagle products, a powder to sprinkle on food Eagle Holistic Solution and Eagle Holistic Transition. I found all of this www.waggintalis.com. This diet was also suggested by other show/breeders I contacted. He was on Nuto sensitive stomach chicken, rice and oatmeal previously. It just turned on him after almost a year.
Jessica
prettypuppypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!