View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
LIL MIS' MAGIC
Yorkie Lover
Donating Member

We have struggled with the same type issues with our Magic almost since she was about 3/4 months.....sometimes it would start a week after she got off the medicines and sometimes she would make it a month.....but it always started back up again.
Magic has been diagonsed with everything from cociadia, giardia, instestional upset, to others I can not think of now....with the bottom line always being that her little tummy can not seem to "stay in balance".
We have switched vets in an effort to find a long turn solution. This new vet is great. He has added a very small amount of yogurt to Magic's diet every other day (1/2 teaspoon of plain yogurt) - we have been advised to do yogurt before but always daily and in larger amounts....which just gave her more diarriah.
The other thing our new vet is went to a prescription diet - Purina DCO - for colitis problems. It is a very high fiber diet. (I am not thrilled with the contents. ) But I can tell you she has been on this new food for going on 2 months now and has only had one episode of diarriah - very early on.) We switched to the food slowly and then started adding yogurt - all that while still taking the metronidizol to keep her stable.

My suggestion is if this continues and the vet tests show no other valid reasons - worms, cocidia, giardia, etc - then I would definately ask for a prescription diet!!

We talked to a two different vets yesterday at a pet event we attended yesterday - just getting other options on how they handle this type of situation - and both completely agreed with our new vets way of handling Magic. (They did suggest evently adding some type of supplement/vitiamin....but not until she is completely stable for while.

Good luck....this can be very frustrating and expensive. I do not even want to talk about all the very very high emergency visits we have paid for - not to mention all the stress and time off from work, etc.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!