View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 01:53 AM   #1
ditsy
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Teething issues - Would like advice.

Jake started teething at about 5 months, and for a couple of months he chewed anything he could and we found a few of his teeth on carpet.

Everything went smoothly and this all calmed down around 6/7 months.

While he had a few double teeth that are going to need to been seen to, the vet and I agreed to put off having him neutered and fix his teeth for a couple of months due to his size and previous sickness (nothing abnormal, just been unlucky with bugs and such).

In the last few days he's been a little "off" (nothing specific, just more a mum knows when something isn't quite right) and yesterday he lost another tooth so I figured that the "off" I noticed was to do with teething.

Today however he's been really clingy, whimpered a few times as if trying to communicate he's in discomfort. He's been acting like his mouth is sore and his tongue / mouth is warmer than normal (can't see any infection) - his breath smells normal. He is licking me more than usual and very restless when he sleeps.

I can't tell if he's eating enough but he has eaten (he's fussy so always has food out so I've only started watching him the last few hours) and I'll give him a blob of Nutrical before he is put down for the night just incase. His bowel movements have been normal and regular/ usual.

He has yelped out in pain a couple of times when we have been playing rough, play that would well be in the scope of what he can normally tolerate (he's a rough and tumble boy).

He's got chew toys, and more chew toys and a few edible chews and I've given him some crushed ice that he chomps on from time to time and I've put some pedialight in some ice cube trays for him to chomp on when they are frozen. He loves cherry flavoured ice.

Now at this point I'm not too concerned but I do have a couple of questions ....

1) At what point would you be concerned? Can you think of anything I haven't mentioned that I should check? Should I go to the vets when it opens just in case, bearing in mind that it will be closed Sunday & Monday? Any symptoms I should look out for?

2) Have you any tips on how to help him deal with the discomfort?

3) Is it normal for him to be teething this late? (8 1/2 months) What is the normal period for teething?

Jake is 5 - 5.5lbs and is 8 1/2 months old and otherwise is a normal healthy rather cheeky young man.

I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing and that he's gonna be fine in a day to two ... I just want to be prepared. As we are all aware if our babies get sick it can be a very small window between life and death.

I did do a search but the first 3 pages of results didn't really come with anything comprehensive.

Thanks in advance for any replies and apologies if I should of placed this in one of the health sections of the site (Mods feel free to move it if I've placed it in the wrong place and give me a stern telling off in PM *smiles*).

Photo for the "awww" factor - He's the one in my arms, the other dog is Yorkie Talk member Patti's dog Cali.
ditsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!