View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 11:36 AM   #15
Potter
YT 2000 Club Member

Default I agree on home cooked food.

I used to cook for my previous dogs-they were Spitzs and a Shih-Tzu in my home country when I was staying with my family. I have a recipe that maintains a well-balanced diet.They did really well and lived a long age and always loves their food and I meant always! My Shih Tzu named Sugar was adopted from the shelter and he was very old..maybe 8 years old and he has had a history of seizure. No one adopted him because he is old. He looked so sad and I just couldn't bring myself to leave him there so I adopted him and he had seizure due to stress in change of environment the day we got him and went to the vet and the vet said he will most probably have lots of seizure. We try to exercise him and kept him on the home cooked diet and you know what, he never had another seizure and became healthier and healthier and lived for a long time up to about 16 years old. If anyone wants the recipe, you may PM me. I will be glad to give.
You can actually cook once every 2 weeks and freeze the rest in daily portions. My baby now however eats commercial dry food and occasional homemade treats and fruits/vegetables because I couldn't keep up with the cooking. Although my baby is thriving well on commercial food, I still believe that home cooked fresh meal is always the best both for human (human food) and dogs too even if it is non-organic but of course, if you can afford it, organic is the way to go. With the limitation of time and convenience, most people will opt for commercial food and I think that may be the only reason why they are so popular.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!