Thread: Howling??!
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
Oscar's Mummy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I've always heard that dogs howl when they are lonely - which makes sense if you say he does it when you leave for work - he wants you to know he's there.

I found this info on howling:
"Howling is a form of communication in dogs. It is a way for dogs to signal their presence to other dogs that are often located far away. It is common in wolves and coyotes, both relatives of today's domestic dog.

Domestic dogs that howl, especially those that howl excessively are usually doing this because they are bored and lonely. Getting extra toys, and giving your dog more attention and exercise will help to stimulate your dog and reduce excessive howling. If you make your dog sleep outside all night, it's no wonder the dog howls a lot. Bring the dog inside!

Sometimes dogs will howl when they hear sirens or other loud higher pitched sounds like clarinets and flutes. These sounds may even come from a television set. Dogs do this as an instinctive response to hearing what they interpret to be another howl (dog in the distance). They are not doing this because it hurts their ears."

Maybe you could try giving your dog something to do when you leave for work - like a Kong stuffed with healthy treats that he has to work at to get, or a bullystick or pig ear (these occupy my dogs for HOURS). Give him something to do and he wont have time to think about whether you're gone and for how long.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!