Thread: Beware of Toads
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
anniesmom68
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Beware of Toads

I got a call last week from my ex , living in Arizona (Really good friends) He has Annie's parents..Sammy and Sosa.
Sammy (Mommy) was acting crazy, running around, eyes dilated, and some foaming at the mouth..She was running in and out of the house.. My ex went out side to see what she was doing and notice she was barking at a toad.
He picked up the toad and threw it in a outside garbage and came back in and checked the internet, researching Arizona toads..
I found this information..
The Colorado River toad is found along large streams in the southwestern United States, from Arizona to southern California and into Mexico. This toad wouldn't win any awards for beauty; its brown/green skin is usually covered with warts. These toads grow to be about 3 to 7 inches long. The giant toad is not as common, and is found in south Texas and Florida. This brown toad grows to be 4 to 6 inches long and is very toxic to pets.

Because dogs are more curious and extroverted, they tend to be treated for toad poisoning more often. But a dog doesn't necessarily have to lick or eat a toad to be poisoned. There have been cases where frogs have been attracted to a dog's water dish and sat along the rim, leaving enough toxin to make a dog sick.

If you live in an area where these toads reside, you should limit your pet's exposure to warm, moist outdoor environments, especially in the desert southwest

If enough toxin is ingested, your pet may have an irregular heartbeat and act strangely, as if in the grip of a hallucination. Call your veterinarian if you observe:
Mouth irritation with foamy salivation
Depression
Weakness
Collapse
Difficulty breathing
Seizures
Fever
Vomiting
Diarrhea

Last night he called and said she had found another Toad..He thought it was a one time thing..He got ride of this Toad also. He goes out with the dogs now..
I am just hoping it didnt cause permanent damage to her..
Gina (Hammond, Indiana)
***Anyone living in any of these location please watch your babies..***
anniesmom68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!