Thread: Heeelp!
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
Brookef18
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Chewy didn't like to get brushed at first. It got to the point where he would bare his teeth and bite me. I knew enough to never stop brushing when he threw a fit... I would even continue to brush him if he was done to show him that throwing a fit will not get him his way. (He is matt free so I knew I wasn't hurting him)
I have heard that if they are trying to bite you can lay them on their side and hold them gently there to show them you are the boss... or you can grab them gently by the back of the neck like a mother dog would do... Both these things show them you are the leader. You need to never lose control and never get mad... they can tell when you are out of control. When I layed Chewy on his side the first time he fought me for 15 min! Don't let them up until they calm down and go limp... THen they are submitting to you. (DON't be mad if you do this! YOur being Calm is key in all this!
When Chewy would bite me I would not pull back... I would even keep my hand in his mouth and stare at him like go ahead and bite... You will be brushed anyway. He is turning 6 moths this week. (WE got him at 3 months) He sits nicely on my lap while I brush him... he doesn't like his face being brushed and he tries to hide his face in my belly... but I always go through the whole process... he is still matt free, brushing is no big deal... Talk calmly to them but be firm and in control they learn that you mean business and you are the boss....Hope this hellps!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!