Thread: Biting/nipping
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #19
JeanieK
Donating YT 12K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgdh1
Hey, it's no problem. I'm not offended. I'm also not trying to cause drama. I just think negative reinforcement is as important as positive reinforcement. Positive reinforcement is used to teach a dog to do something that you like. Negative reinforcement is used to teach a dog NOT to do something that you don't like. I just think giving a dog a treat for licking you will not solve the issue with him biting you. Whether you use a pop in the rear, a stern "No," or lemon juice, it's negative reinforcement and if the dog registers it as negative, it will work. If your dog likes lemonade, lemons won't work. Each dog is different.

The fact is, dogs "outgrow" biting and nipping because they've come to understand the negative consequences when they do that. Giving them a hug when they don't bite doesn't help at all. When you want to teach them to sit, you reward them for sitting. When you want to teach them not to jump on you, you discipline them for jumping on you.

I understand that when people hear someone say to discipline a dog, they immediately assume an abusive environment. I'm a huge fan of my dog. I think people with unruly dogs tend to be less fond of their's. I think that's why some people come on here with older dogs or puppies and want to get rid of them. They can't figure out why he is still doing the things that they don't want him to do. To me, I enjoy a dog more when he's well behaved, so I try to use what works or has worked in the past. I use positive to teach to do something and negative to teach not to do something.

As far as fear, I think a dog can be just as frightened by loud shouting all of the time as a quick pop for biting. I guess it's up to the dog and his owner, though.
Hitting a 14 week old puppy for chewing is like hitting an infant for chewing.

At 14 weeks they don't show signs of agression, they know they are babies.

You can however nip back at them like their mother would do. The mother would never actually bite them, she would snap at them and they would learn that biting is not acceptable behavior.

I don't beleive the behavior should be ignored, but neither do I believe that they should they be hit.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!