Thread: Biting/nipping
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
Gracie2006
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

I would not trust that every puppy will grow out of it. My puppy school teacher taught me this and it seems to be working, but you have to be very consistent.

When puppy bites, you immediately stand up and turn your back to him while you say no bite. The puppy will feel banished from you, his pack. Wait 30 seconds, then return and give him something appropriate to bite. If he bites a second time, repeat this. If he bites a third time, this is a felony offence. He goes into his ex-pen, a gated off small room, etc. so you both get a time out. This is not meant to be punishment for the puppy, but to help re-direct his thoughts to something other than biting. After 15 minutes or so, you can end the time out. My teacher said it was best to keep the puppy tethered when doing this so he can't run off and find something fun to do. I can't tether my Gracie. Usually when her biting happens, we are on the sofa playing. She won't jump down off the sofa so she gets her 30 sec. there. I just pick up all toys and chews when I stand up and turn my back.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!