View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 02:58 AM   #15
BelaMom
Yorkie Talker

Hi everyone - I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to all of you for all of your comments and concern abvout sweet Bela.

Bela is doing GREAT!! I did decide to wait and take her to our vet early that morning instead of the emergency vet as it was already in the AM by the time I relized that the onions were poisonous for dogs. Eeeeekkk!! I have a list of the bad foods for dogs and for some reason I just didn't remember the onions being on there. I had been taking her temp and it was normal and since my vet opens at 7:30 am I waited. I was up most of the night with her though.

Anyway - the vet was concerned about the pancreatitis as suggested on this thread and so they kept Bela all day and ran a blood panel, stool floatation and gave her fluids. Everything was normal. So the vet has concluded it was just a very upset tummy and we have her on a bland diet for the next few days.

We have had Bela 10 years (since she was a pup) - and she has never been this sick before??? I learned a huge $300 lesson and at poor Bela's tummy's expense so I will NEVER give her anything greasy again!!!

Thank you again - I am so happy that I have found this forum and will enjoy getting to know you all and your sweet yorkies.

Kim - it is GREAT for me to know someone from the Anchorage area as well!! We have sighthounds too (a whippet and 3 italian greyhounds) and in the summer we practice lure coursing at Mirror Lake High School near you. Bela has even chased the lure before and she did quite well - it was fun watching her little legs go so fast!!

Bruce's mom Thank you for posting about the emergency vets. We live in Anchorage and there ARE two 24 hour emergency vets here - I just preferred waiting for our own vet in this instance since it was so late and only a few hours til our own vet office opened...............especially since Bela remained alert and wasn't running a temp. Will you be back next summer to visit? I hope you enjoyed the summer here though it was a bit of a wet one -Alaska is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Visit my Art Website
http://www.dreamdogpaintings.com
BelaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!