View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

That is the same bacteria as what causes HGE. You can read this thread just posted in the last few days:

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55003

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE)

Q: Dr. Mike, Our 2 year old male silky terrier has been diagnosed with HGE. Over an 18 hour period, beginning at 2am, he first vomited frequently in the night, then had bloody stools over the daytime period. He seemed increasingly subdued and would not eat. We took him to the emergency vet at about 6pm. After a blood test showed a 65% level of pcv, he was put on fluids and antibiotics IV.

Can you tell us more about where this comes from, what the problem is, what the treatments are, and how we might prevent it in the future. Thanks sincerely.

A: Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) usually causes a very sudden onset of vomiting, bloody diarrhea, dehydration and depression. Dogs affected by this condition get very sick, very fast.

To the best of my knowledge, the exact cause of this disease is unknown. It appears that Clostridium species bacteria may be part of the cause. The disease is more frequent in small breed dogs but can occur in any dog. I am not sure what the general impression is among veterinarians, but dogs that have this problem seem to have a high risk of getting it again in our practice.

Most dogs respond very well to treatment with fluids to restore hydration. In some cases it is necessary to give plasma to correct loss of protein and antibiotics to combat the suspected Clostridium infection. In a few dogs, it is necessary to give fast acting cortisones to counter shock, which is a problem due to the very rapid onset of dehydration in dogs with HGE.

It is generally necessary to totally restrict oral food and water for one or two days when treating this problem. This makes hospitalization necessary for several days for most dogs with HGE.

The odds are very good that your dog will be OK. Follow your vet's advice carefully after discharge from the hospital.

Mike Richards, DVM

HGE in Schnauzer

Q: Dear Dr. Mike, My vet today diagnosed my 3-1/2 yr. old Miniature Schnauzer with Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. This is her second attack in just 2-1/2 months. The first happened over a weekend and I took her to an emergency clinic where they said she had Gastroenteritis. The second attack was much more severe and my regular vet saw her. My question is will her life span be shortened by this and are there any preventions I can take with her to help her from having another attack so soon. I would also appreciate any information you could share with me on HGE. Thank you, Frances

A: Frances- It is pretty likely that your schnauzer will have repeat attacks of HGE. While most of the time these attacks do not occur quite as closely as the two you have seen, it can happen. We had a dachshund patient who had three or four attacks in one year and has not had one that I can remember since.

Mike Richards, DVM

http://www.vetinfo.com/dhge.html
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!