View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim n
What is everyone's feelings about spaying or neutering a puppy before it goes home to its' new owner? I've done my homework and have settled on three breeders that I feel are breeding top of the line puppies. The problem is that all three alter the puppies prior to being sold. I'm just not comfortable with this. It's like castrating a baby. I'm sure they need the hormones they will loose for proper development, both mentally and physically. The breeders say it's to protect their lines. I would not have a problem with them holding the registration papers until proof of spaying/neutering is provided at around months or older.
Should I stay with these breeders or find one that does not alter so young?
I'm presuming these breeders are very reputable and have been breeding for a long time. There are pros and cons for altering a dog at a young age.
However, if the breeders you have decided on are long standing exhibitor/breeders. They have been perfecting their lines for countless numbers of years and I understand their reason for altering the puppies prior to them leaving their premises.

Holding the registration papers is not a guarantee that a new puppy owner will alter the puppy. There have people that really don't care about the registration papers and go ahead and breed the dogs.

As far as staying with your choices, that is up to you. If they are reputable breeders, breed to the standard, mother and puppies are healthy and socialized and provide health guarantees and stand behind them, that is the most important thing.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!