View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
JeanieK
Donating YT 12K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTrixie143
That was so sad, I could not read it, I knew how the story goes.

I really can't understand these kill shelters. I am a strong advocate of no kill shelters and fostering. There is no reason why kill shelters should exist. The only reason a dog should be euthanized is because of health problems or serious behavior problems. I am sorry, it just makes me angry that these shelters exist. There will always always be dogs that need new homes but there doesn't ever have to be any kill shelters. JMO

Sometimes there are just toooo many.

Here is an email I sent to the reporter on that story.

Gabe,
I believe when the shelters preach spay/neuter to the public, they are preaching to the choir. I would like to see the media push for spay/neuter clinics.

The majority of the people who are responsible for these animals are too poor to pay to have their dogs spayed/neutered. They probably got a puppy free from a friend of their cousins girlfriend, who's female was not spayed and was kept chained outside, or allowed to run loose. They couldn't say no cause their kids fell in love with it, but they can barely afford to feed it let alone get it spayed/neutered. And so it starts all over.

If our local governments provided for free spay/neuter clinics, sort of like gun amnesty, no questions asked, I believe people would get it done. Initially it would cost, but in the long run it could drastically reduce the number of animals in the shelters and the numbers being euthanized, thereby saving enough money to fund the clinics.

All it would take would be for one lonely little reporter to start the ball rolling, and make a name for himself.

Just think about it. The "Semenza" legislation.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!