View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
River
Senior Yorkie Talker

He doesn't have MVD. His liver is clean and healthy, the biopsies he had both times were good. He had his first shunt operated on a year ago Sept. His bile acids kept coming down and at 6mo his fasting was a couple points high but his eating was completely normal. Then I decided to have a follow up at a year so I took him in July and was shocked when they came back high. We put him back on LD diet and repeated the test in Aug. The results were almost double from July. We went back to the surgeon for another consult and ultrasound found ANOTHER shunt. The doctor is still completely baffled by this, because his liver had almost doubled in size and all the veins going into it were big, healthy and working well. He said if he didn't know the shunt was there he would have thought that it was the liver of a perfectly normal dog. Even after the second surgery he still is puzzled why the second shunt formed because Indy didn't fit the profile to get a second shunt. He cut the cost in half for the second surgery, but still expensive. Didn't really have a choice though. I already had so much into him it didn't make sense to not do it again. Besides, money aside, I would have done it anyway cuz he's my boy! Don't be disappointed if Gucci's acids aren't normal yet because it does take a while sometimes for them to return to normal. Good luck!! Let me know.
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!