Thread: Cytr
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Maybe I can help a little bit with the issue of Yorkies and Condos and rescues. A rescue has already lost at least one home, sometimes more. A yorkie is a pretty active little dog except for the very elderly dogs. There are condos and then there are condos. If it is a smaller condo, the Yorkie can be a problem unless you are really committed to spending a lot of time playing with it etc but they love the outdoors, As for dog parks being nearby, I don't recommend them as Yorkies are often attacked and severely injured or killed by off leash dogs. You are also exposing your dog to a myriad of whatever any of these dogs may be carrying including endo and ecto parasites. Ugh.
There is nothing safer than your own well fenced secured (locks on gates not just latches) whether that yard is a house or townhouse. There are some but very few mainfloor condos that have private fenced yards.
Any Yorkie can be a challenge to housebreak. A fenced yard or if a condo, very large terrace can make that drill much easier.
I am a show breeder but any puppies I sell are to pet homes nonbreeding usually spay/neutered first. I have had puppies returned on two occasions that the owners lived in condos. They didn't have a large deck or a large condo, it was all too small and too many potty accidents.
I have a pet buyer that bought a pet from me then came back a year later for a second one that live in a condo. IT is a huge condo with a terrace almost the size of my back yard. The first Yorkie is now 5 years old the other is 3 years old. They have not been a problem.
Although I am sure you are most disappointed, I know also that the rescue organization is trying to ensure it will be a forever home when placing a dog. There are certain factors in looking for permanent homes that make them a little higher risk for placement.
It isn't a personal thing, any rescue and indeed any breeder that cares about their dogs is thinking of the future of that Yorkie not just right now. For me, in both cases, I took the puppy back and gave them a full refund. If it isn't working out, that's okay I want the dog back and see no reason why they should be out any money. I appreciate they brought the pup back and admitted they were in over their head.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!