View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
mommyof2
Senior Yorkie Talker

I took Dixie in on Monday to her vet. I was suprised and completely baffled when the Vet told me what it was. They called it cutebrae or something like that.
What is is fly larvae under the skin. I freaked out when he told me this!! He made a small nick near the hole. there was a small hole in the middle of the lump. He made a small nick and pulled out a fly larvae! He did the same to the one on her belly. He said it is quite common, especially this time of year. He put her on antibiotic for 10 days and said she should be all right.
I am having a difficult time with this. I feel like such a bad mom. I just can't believe it!! My poor baby girl!! I just can't believe it. We don't have a fly problem at all. We hardly see any. Our yard is cleaned up twice a week to get rid of the poo and such. The vet said that there was nothing I could do to prevent it and it really only takes one fly. I guess the fly lays an egg or something, it hatches and the larvae burrows in under the skin, the hole in the lump was the larvae's air hole!!
I still am totally grossed out by this!!
You might just want to check your pup and if you see a hole anywhere around the lump, get him or her in right away!! The vet said that if I had waited, it could have gotten infected because of the germs that the larvae carries.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!