View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

Already - I see too many different answers to be comfortable with...

Check with your vet - and give your pet the correct dosage....especially if he's going to need to take it long term.

Aspirin has a lot of side effects and the wrong dosage can cause more problems than it solves......and serious ones at that!

PS: I have looked this up on the Internet before - and even on the Internet, I have seen many different dosages recommended for our pets. This is all the more reason I would check with my vet.

And please remember - a good vet may not give everyone of his patients the same amount of aspirin or any other drug........ different drugs are given in different dosages for different medical problems...and are given according to weight, etc....this is especially important. Plus - many drugs are increased or lowered after a period of time - depending on the dog's response to the drug.

***** Enteric-coated aspirin??? A lot of people's stomachs just can't tolerate aspirin .... so, they take the enteric-coated aspirin. Because of the coating, this pill doesn't dissolve in the stomach, but dissolves later on in the intesting (this avoids the stomach discomfort that many people experience taking aspirin). ...but they still get the benefits of the aspirin. A lot of our cardiac patients who need to take an aspirin a day take the coated aspirin - it works fine for them.

I rarely take an aspirin - but I do know that if I have a splitting headache - I don't want to take a coated one -- why? Because it won't dissolve right away - and I'll have my headache for a long time before that aspirin ever gets into my system.

Carol Jean

Good luck - Carol Jean

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!