View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #11
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Five days should be fine, but definitely no longer. Yes, I take Mom with me, but then my husband stays with the puppies (if he's available or I just trust the vet alone) and Mom and I go sit in the car with the radio on (that's why I knew it took 9 minutes because I was watching the clock). I put them in a plastic tub with Mom, blankets and a heating pad. I also keep a heating pad on them on low underneath a towel until they are at least 4 weeks old.

Sounds like your dog is being a great mother. It sure makes things easier. Has her milk "come in"? Make sure you continue to feed her puppy food and lots of fluids. How much does she weigh? How much does the dad weigh? Do you have a scale to weigh the pups? If not, be sure and get one.

Definitely trim the hair to make it easier for the pups. There was a warning posted last week about puppy's strangling in Mom's long hair so make sure she is tangle free and maybe cut a little more off than just to expose the nipples. I have never had this happen, but I would rather wait for a little hair to grow back if it means one could possible strangle.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!