View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

I have the Mom tested for worms when I do the tails and dew claws. If she shows no signs of worms than I do not worm the puppies. I again test the puppies for worms at 8 weeks and if no worms, then no wormers. If I see signs of diarrhea in the pups or the pot bellied look I test them sooner. Wormers are poisons (insecticides) so I see no reason to give them without evidence of worms.

I try to hold off on vaccinations until 8 weeks and then 12 and 16 and wait until at least 6 months for rabies. I am very careful and keep them isolated though. I don't allow everyone to handle them or take them out to show them off. I never, never give Lepto, Corona, Lymes disease (ticks), bordatello (kennel cough) or Giardia. There is plenty of research to back this up, but you will have to make your own decisions, but definitely not before 6 weeks and definitely no lepto.

It really is a simple procedure, but some don't know the proper length to cut. I've never even had to put an antibiotic or anything on them and have never had one bleed. Just keep the area very clean and change the sheets or disposable hospital pads (whatever bedding you are using) frequently. Cleanliness will also prevent mastitis (bacteria entering the mammary glands and causing an infection) in mom.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!