View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 03:18 AM   #4
ginnysanchez
No Longer a Member

I've noticed with my "skin babies" that their dispositions pretty much never changed from the time they were born--my oldest was a high-strung infant, and today she is a high-strung 23 year old; my middle child was a mostly calm infant with bouts of tantrums, and he is the same way as a 17 year old; my youngest was a laid-back, quiet infant and guess what? at 15, she's exactly the same.

So, when I went looking for a puppy, I went looking for the calm one!

Google was the calmest puppy I saw, but he had a sparkle in his eye and the way he moved around I knew he wasn't calm because he was ill; now, at 10 months old he rarely barks (only when he's startled or if a stranger is coming toward the door) and he's playful...but overall, he's a laid-back pup. My brother's brother-in-law has two yorkies that are a handful and when he met mine, he commented on how well-behaved mine was!

I really believe that a person (or puppy's) disposition is pretty much set from birth, it's tied in to how they percieve the world around them; environment also plays a large role in how they turn out. So if you feel you have a hyper puppy, you probably need to exercise him a bit more than if you have a mellow puppy, just to expend the excess energy before it becomes a destructive force--too much barking, or shredding things, or nipping, etc.
ginnysanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!