Thread: Help!
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #10
Sadie's Mom
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacy's Mom
Try the chicken and rice it will help if it is just a stomach upset. If it continues it is probably a bacteria or parasite of some kind so don't let it go for more than 48 hours, or less if diarrhea is severe or she is not eating. I have had Yorkies that just can't have treats so discontinue the treats and when you reintroduce them watch and make sure the treats aren't the problem. Also give some Nutrical or Nutristat to stimulate her appetite. If the diarrhea is frequent, give Pedialyte to restore the electrolyte balance. Beneficial bacteria is also a good suggestion found in yogurt (sometimes causes diarrhea though) - also available in a tube called Benebac which might be a better alternative right now with the diarrhea.

I have given my adults a 1/2 tablet of Immodium AD with my vet's permission when I was sure it was just something they ate. I wouldn't give an anti-diarrheal, but one or two times because if it is a bacterial infection or parasite then diarrhea is the body's way of ridding itself and will only prolong the diagnosis and cure.
I know it's not her treats b/c they're the same ones she always has w/no problems. And her appetite is good now, w/the high fiber food I've been giving her. That food has helped firm it up some, but it's still soft...but solid. I'm going to try the chicken & rice tonight & see how that does. If it doesn't get better by tomorrow, I'm gonna call the vet.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!