View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

I would definitely be worried about this behavior and think you need to consult a vet. One of my Yorkie's tongue does curl when he pants like when riding in the car before he settles down. I found this on stages of a seizure - if you look under the "aura" stage it sounds like what you are describing.

Stages of a Seizure
There are 4 basic stages to a seizure: 1) the prodome, 2) the aura or preictus, 3) the ictus or seizure stage, and 4) the postictus.
1) The prodome may precede the actual seizure by hours or days. It is characterized by a change in mood or behavior. Human epileptics experience mood changes, headaches, insomnia or feelings about the impending seizure. It is not known whether animals experience a prodome except for any behavioral changes observed by their owners.

2) The aura signals the start of the seizure. Signs include restlessness, nervousness, whining, trembling, salivation, affection, wandering, hiding, hysterical running, and apprehension.

3) The ictus is the actual seizure, characterized by sudden increase in tone of all muscle groups. The ictus is either tonic or tonic-clonic, generally lasting from 1-3 minutes.

4) The postictus may be the only sign of epilepsy the owner sees, particularly since many seizures occur at night or early in the morning. For minutes to days after the seizure, the dog may be confused, disoriented, restless, or unresponsive, or may wander or suffer from transient blindness. At this stage the animal is conscious but not functional. (Shell, Understanding; Kay; Oliver, Seizures).

What can you do when your dog seizures? Note the time to determine how long the seizure lasts. Keep the dog as quiet as possible. Loud or sharp noises may prolong the seizure or make it worse. Other dogs should be removed from the area, as they may disturb or attack the seizuring dog. Should you attempt to comfort the animal? Opinions on this vary. My own dog is comforted by my presence and looks for me as he returns to consciousness. I make a point of calmly maintaining physical and voice contact with him throughout the seizure and during recovery.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!