View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

i would train him to go outside. start eliminating the pee pads again until your down to the one closet to the door your going to take him out of all the time. then start moving that pad closer and closer to the dog. then put it outside on the opposite side of the door. he'll eventually learn to go outside. i don't think pee pads are a very good idea because 1) why spend the extra money of pee pads when its free to go outside, 2) all that money your gonna spend on the pads for the rest of his life could be put towards something else. its like buying diapers for your child all his life, would you do that? and 3) do you really want a dog pooping in your house all the time? i think its disgusting.

I trained morgan to go outside from the day i got her. she was used to going on pads at the breeder, but i didn't want this. so i would take her outside and tell her to 'go potty' then i'd stand there and wait till she did. sometimes i was out there for twenty minutes standing still while she walked in a circle around me. but it got the job done. morgan is on a schedule now and is taken out 5-6 times a day to potty, plus a walk. early in the morning on the weekends when she has to pee at like 6:30 i take her out, she runs to this one spot, pees and poops, and then runs back in the house, down the stairs, and up the ramp on to my bed.

i think its well worth it to train your dog to go outside. if you had a lab would you be training him to go in your house? don't worry about the cold or the rain. morgan goes out in the rain with no problem. granted i have to dry her off or blow dry her afterwards. as for snow, we haven't gotten any yet, but i'm taking her out in that too. i'll shovel a spot for her. and i'm getting her snow booties since the snow here gets pretty icy, plus she has several sweaters, jackets, and hoodies to wear outside.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!