View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
Gizmo TN
Yorkie Yakker

Rain Collapsed Trachea - Need advice

My Yorkie, Gizmo just turned 13 yrs old last week. He has been going thru so much in his life. He was diagnosed with retinal atrophy when he was only 6yrs old. The Vet Hospital at the Univ of TN said that there was nothing they could do. Gizmo went completely blind but he still gets around which is amazing to me. Now he has a problem with his heart and a collapsed trachea. We have tried all kinds of medicine which do not help. We looked into surgery at UT and it was not recommended for him. It seems once you have the shunt put in other parts could eventually collapse and the procedure would need to be repeated. Now we sedate him in the evening so he can sleep. He doesn't play anymore and just coughs and coughs. It breaks my heart to see him this way knowing that there is nothing that I can do to help him. When I hold him, he still kisses me and seems happy. I have heard that there comes a time when you just have to let them go, but I have never done that. I have had Gizmo since he was 2 months old (a birthday present from my husband). I lost my previous Yorkie at age 3 when he was hit by a car in front of me. I don't know if I could ever have Gizmo put to sleep. But, I wonder if I am just being selfish wanting to keep him here with me. I just don't know what to do. Has anyone ever gone thru something like this?

I love this little guy very much and want to do the right thing.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!