View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
irishawk
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklenore1
Hi,
Iam having trouble getting my 4 month old Yorkie potty trained. Any suggestions.
Yes, my suggestion is to join the club. Hehehehe.

Do what works best for your lifestyle. For example, I just can't crate train. Maybe you can post what your schedule is like and we can try and help you come up with some solutions. I work 8-12 and leave Howie in his crate, come home for lunch and let Howie potty on his potty pad in the kitchen and have some lunch, then put him in his x-pen in the living room with water and toys and a puppy pad that he never needs to use, until I get home around 5:15-5:30. When I am home I've created "puppy pad country" which is the area that Howie seemed to like to pee on the carpet. I just put down 5 puppy pads and every time he walks over and goes potty he gets a treat immediately after. And I make sure that I reserve his favorite treat for potty rewards. Eventually I want to reduce "puppy pad country" down to just one pad.

My point of that long winded explanation is that this is a little outside of the potty training norm, but it's the only thing that has worked for our situation. Good luck and be patient!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!