View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
DazzlinYT
YT Addict

Had it in rescue dogs, and YES you can get it, so wash those hands as often as if you had OCD!! The two things used to treat it were Flagyl (Metronitozole) and also some used 10-14 days of Panacur. I liked Flagyl. Talk to your vet, you probably need to treat her for longer than 5 days (10 minimum) if on Flagyl and give her something to control diarreah or she will dehydrate quickly. Everywhere she poos, she is depositing the virus, so clean REALLY GOOD with amonia in those places, it is the only thing that is known to kill protozoans like Giardia and Coccidia. Also, wash her water and food bowl every day, she is getting it in there too. Sorry you are having to go through this. Did you notify the breeder? If so, what was the response?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro37
I got a puppy less than 2 weeks ago from a breeder in Ohio and immediately noticed that her stools were loose, contained mucus, and blood.

She tested positive for 2+ giardia (giardiarsis) which is transmittable to humans. Her vet put her on some meds for 5 days which improved her stools, but the day after it ended her stools went back to its weird state.

My internet research says it's hard to get rid of giardia and that the meds out there are controversial in and of themselves because they kill everything in your stomach.

Has anyone else had this problem? What medications worked and how long did it take to get rid of?

Thank you!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!