View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
irishawk
YT 500 Club Member

Your guy is young, so that's hopeful. First off, I would not be giving him full run of the house. At that age, they should be attached to you via their leash at all times in the house. I found that this helps with potty training and leadership issues. My dog is 6 months old now and at 12 weeks he seemed a little aggressive as well. Not quite as bad as what you describe, but he certainly loved to bite and growl and bark. I've found that age is helping him calm down a lot. He's starting to figure out who's boss. When he starts to get into one of his fits where he barks and growls I pick up a pepsi can filled with coins and shake it. The noise stops him dead in his tracks. If he starts to bite at me I immediately pull my hands away, clap them in front of his face and say very sternly NO BITE.

Have you thought about puppy classes? They offer them at Petsmart. They aren't miracle workers, but it certainly was a step in the right direction with Howie's training.

I'm sure that your new puppy isn't the spawn of Cujo! He's a puppy and doesn't understand leadership roles yet. Good luck!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!