View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
KellyV
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturningcrea
Yesterday while flipping channels I saw the TV show with Stanley Coren
http://www.stanleycoren.com/bio.htm

He does segments with people in their homes when they having furbaby problems. Sort of like a Canadian Dog Whisperer. He said that it can hurt the dogs to have their nails clipped. He suggested clipping after they have stood in warm water while having a bath or take warm wash cloths and wrap them around the paw, cover with a baggie and close with a loose fitting elastic. What 15 minutes or so and then cut.

Has anyone heard this before?

Yes.. Not the washcloth part, but clipping after a bath. I always do mine after bathing just for this reason. I wrap them up in a towel and then clip away. The nails are a bit softer from being in the water.

The only time it should really hurt them is if you hit the quick. It's just like cutting our nails... You don't really feel it at the ends, but if you goo too far.. OUCH! I know some pups like to scream bloody murder (my parent's dog is like that), but I think it's just over-dramatization. My two fought and fought at first too, but once they figured I wouldn't let up no matter how hard they struggled they just kind of gave up and let me do it.
KellyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!