Thread: wheezing
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Here's a link you might find helpful on wheezing. Maybe it's an allergy reaction since you took him to Pennsylvania. Maybe Children's Benadryl would help (dosage range 1/2 mg to 2 mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours) Hope he's better soon. Keep us posted.

Dogs can't tell you when they're sick, but they may wheeze, cough and gag.
Learn to differentiate between these three sounds to find out what your puppy needs.

What causes my dog to wheeze?
Wheezing is a high-pitched whistling sound created by airflow through constricted breathing tubes. If your dog has an attack of wheezing that lasts more than 30 minutes, treat it as an emergency and seek veterinary attention as soon as possible. If your dog doesn't wheeze on a regular basis and has an attack that lasts less than 30 minutes, try to determine what brought on the attack.

Causes that could bring on wheezing include:

Cold or sinus infection
Tissue inflammation brought on by pollen grain allergies or paint fumes
Inhaled foreign bodies such as rug fibers or grass that are caught in the nose
Asthma
Infections such as tuberculosis and pneumonia
Tracheal damage

How can I soothe my dog's wheezing?
If you determine the wheezing isn't an emergency, soothe your dog during the attack.

Wheezing due to tissue inflammation: Turn on a humidifier or place your dog in a steamy bathroom. Steam will help open air passageways and make breathing easier.

Wheezing due to allergies, colds and asthma: Determine the possible causes and remove them from your home. Your dog may be responding to dust, pollen, household cleaners or other irritants. Things such as cigarette smoke and incense are also common offenders.

Wheezing due to tracheal damage: A tight collar and leash can injure or even fracture your dog's trachea. Keep the leash off and put on a humidifier before visiting the vet.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!