View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #7
julietsmom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
OK 11 weeks is better. The few weeks help. She still won't really be able to "hold it" until she's like 16 weeks, but you can get started. To outside train just eliminate the pads and crate train her. When she's not crated tether her to you (Leave her harness & leash on and strap it to your belt) Take her out A LOT! Like every 15-30 mins for 2 weeks or so, then you can start to back off a little once she stops having as many accidents.

Can you put the crate in your room? Loki slept in his crate next to the bed until he was big enough (and trained enough) to jump off the bed. THen we closed the bedroom door and he'd scratch when he wanted to go downstairs and outside. Eventually he learned to run downstairs and ring his bells even in the middle of the night. He would also sit next to me and cry to wake me up or literally stand on my chest or put his paws on my head. When he slept in his crate at night I always took him out at about 2am to avoid nighttime accidents. Otherwise you can put her in a small cuddle bed IN your bed, as long as you are a light sleeper. If she stirs even a little, you should get up and let her out. Otherwise set an alarm and wake her up to go out. We learned quickly it was easier to get up for 5 mins and take Loki out than wake up to a screaming, wet dog who needed a bath.

When you go to the door say "Outside!" and go outside. Wait outside (stand still, only give her the length of her leash to sniff) and when she goes - immediately give her a treat and praise her. Do this repeatedly for several weeks and she'll start to let you know she needs to go out. If she has an accident in the house take a step back in the crate training. Don't give too much freedom too soon!! Also, if she starts to sniff say "NO" or "ACK" or whatever to interrupt her, pick her up (yes even if she's peeing, potty training is messy!!) and RUN outside. This is where the leash comes in handy. Then praise her when she finishes. Also you can take her poop outside (you get over the icky factor real quick) and let her sniff it. Act like she did it! She'll get the idea!!!

Thanks again for your reply.

During the day, like when I'm on the internet I let her lay in my lap and sleep. Is that ok? If I'm sitting around, I want her with me, not barking in the crate.

This is all new to me, I've never crated a dog before.
julietsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!