View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
julietsmom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
1st - you are expecting too much. She does NOT know she needs to go until it's too late. Don't let her on your bed or anywhere difficult to clean. Stick to the tile floor and her crate. Give her another month or two before she starts to get it. In the mean time, watch for her signals - some dogs circle or sniff first. Loki didn't, he'd just squat with no signs. Try to minimize accidents by taking her out A LOT like every 15 mins. The fewer accidents in the crate she has the faster she will learn. She may not know how to tell you, but you know the more often you let her out to go the more likely it is that she's empty. If you crate her because she won't go, try again in 5 mins. 8 weeks is *really* young. I believe in crate training but if you find she is having an accident every 1/2 hour you may want to try a playpen for a few weeks until she gets bigger.

2nd - take the bed out of the crate. If there is room for a bed there is too much room. An easy to wash blanket is OK although my little monster figured out how to pee on the blanket and shove it under the divider. She probably needs to go every 30 minutes and again, she won't know that she needs to poop if you let her out 10 minutes before she figures out she needs to. She is not going to "know" to go on pads - how are you encouraging her to go there? If they were in a pen with paper she is used to just "going" wherever. Training her will be a combo of your consistency and her maturity.
Thanks for your reply.

Let me correct you, she is 11 wks not 8 wks. I've had her for a few weeks now.

Ok, so should I let her have the run of the house if I'm paying attention to her sniffing? Or should I keep her confined in a room all alone? I feel bad doing that because she's used to being around our family. WHen she's in the laundry room alone, she barks constantly and gets all worked up.

I have taken her to her pads when she sniffs around to pee, and she's used them a few times, but for the most part she just goes wherever.

I would much rather teach her to just go outside. How do I do that? With treats? Should I crate her? Should I let her roam around the house or the laundry room? What about night time? She barks all night if she's in that crate.
julietsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!