Thread: Potty Confusion
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
JeanieK
Donating YT 12K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristenJS83
Hi everyone, I have a 9 month old Yorkie named Bailey. I have had him for 7 months and have YET to get him to potty in the proper spot! We live in an apartment and at night and when we are at work we have him baby gated in the kitchen with a potty pad and his crate. He will pee on his potty pad but he will only poop by the gate when he gets excited and jump up and down and smear it all over the kitchen!! When we are home we let him run around the apartment and if he has to poop he goes where ever he wants to. He knows what he has done is bad because he runs from us after he does it. I take him outside 3 times a day to let him relieve himself. Also we have a patio where I have placed another potty pad for when the weather is bad so he can go out there....again, he will pee on it but he likes to poop inside! Im sick to death of having to clean up his messes...Ive done it Every Single day for the past 7 months. Im DESPERATE!! Im slowing trying to crate train him as well....but we are gone for 10 hours when at work and Im not sure if its ok to leave him in there the whole time. Any advice would be wonderful! Please HELP!
I know what yhou mean about them pooping and then jumping in it. Mine did that when I would pen them in he laundry area at night, then in the morning they would jump around in it all excited. I solved the problem by putting them in a crate at night.

At his age his pooping should be quite regular. If you feed him, then walk him before you leave in the morning, and then don't feed him again until you get home, he should not have to poop again until you are home and can walk him again.

So my suggestion is to maybe change his feeding and exercise routine and make sure he gets a nice long walk before you leave for work. And maybe instead of letting him have the entire run of the kitchen, try an x pen.

I definitely feel your frustration.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!