Thread: How many pads?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Oscar's Mummy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I would just stick with one pee pad at one end of his pen and his bed, toys, water, etc. at the opposite end (not sure how big your pen is). If you start off lining his whole area with pads, then try to reduce it down to one pad, he may still go where the pads used to be because he remembers that 'spot' as a place to go. My dogs will go in the place where the pad WAS if I take it up and don't get a new one down fast enough - they just know that's where they go.

I'm not sure how well your dog responds to praise, but I found this worked really well with training my puppies to use the pads - neither one of them were really big eaters in the beginning so using treats as reward would have been useless. I think you said in your previous post that the puppy is 10 weeks old? How often do you put him in the pen? If you can pick up on the signs that he needs to go it will make training much easier (pacing, sniffing the floor, maybe whining, etc.). A puppy this young will need to go OFTEN (after playing, eating, sleeping) and when they gotta go, they gotta go! Immediatly after he wakes from a nap or after a good play, pick him up and physically place him on the pad and wait for him to pee - when he does, PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE. He should catch on really quickly. And remember - if you find a mess off the pad or anywhere in the house - don't scold him unless you SEE him doing it. If you CATCH him peeing, try clapping your hands once really loud to 'startle' him out of what he's doing and tell him NO - then pick him up and put him on the pad.

If your pen doesn't have a solid bottom and you're wanting to protect your floors, you could cut open a large garbage bag and lay it down on the floor to help protect it, then lay a pad on top. I purchased a large plastic kennel tray (I use an ex pen) that takes up about half of the pen and put that under the pad so that when Oscar 'misses' it doesn't end up on my floor (it also has a small lip edge on all four sides which is good too).

I'm sure you got lots of good advice in your other thread.. but I hope this helps some too. 10 weeks is still very young and as you've only had him a couple days, he may just be regressing because of the change in environment. He may very well go back to using the pads really well again.

Good luck with Baloo!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!