View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #7
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishawk
Ok, so Howie is 6 months old and I know I need to get him neutered. From being on here, I've learned that Isoflourane or Sevoflourine are the only anaesthetics that should be used on yorkies. My question is WHY? I was on the phone with the vet's office today scheduling an appt for blood work and asked what they used and the vet tech told me Pentathol. Upon more research, I saw that this is a barbituate which I've also read on here is a NO NO for yorkies. But I need to know why!

I'm sitting here at work getting myself so worked up over this. I really appreciate your responses.
This will explain it for you:

Isoflurane is the anesthetic of choice. Don't use Halothane or any of the barbituates (see number 4, below). Some vets will "mask" a tiny dog with Isoflurane rather than use the injectable and some vets will not intubate at all, but this depends on the type of surgery being performed. This is an excellent method whenever possible.

Last but not least, DO NOT ALLOW YOUR VET TO USE ANY KIND OF BARBITUATES TO ANESTHESIZE YOUR TOY DOG. MOST PARTICULARLY NOT PENTABARB. Many toy dogs have died needlessly because of UNINFORMED VETS WHO ARE DECADES BEHIND IN USE OF ANESTHETICS FOR TOY DOGS. If your vet thinks Isoflurane is too expensive and refuses to use it, then FIND ANOTHER VET THAT will use it. It could and probably will save your dog's life.

http://www.shooterdog.com/alexfaq3.htm
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!