View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
Lila
Yorkie Yakker

Default What is a Vole?

A vole is really a mouse-like rodent, larger than a mouse, but smaller than a rat. It looks much like a field mouse, but has a shorter tail and can be up to seven inches or so-at least here in Ontario. Mind you, the hind end of one I found on my walkway the other morning seemed more rat-size than not. It disappeared- probably another cat managed to finish it off.

I found I had a rat in the barn one evening in the winter; Kia was upside down in a shavings bag that had been filled with other bags for burning. I tipped the bag onto the ground, and she managed to get in further. To help her, I pulled out one of the other folded bags, and a rat, about eight inches darted out. Then the hunt was on; Gunner tried to get under the tool box, Kia tried to get between his legs and follow the rat around the corner under the shelves, they both attempted to climb through a small hole at the same time.... The rat managed to get out through the pump box, but now all I have to say is "Get the RAT!", and Kia is runs wildly snuffling all around the barn.

On Thursday evening Kia and I were walking up the road, about seven o'clock, when about 200 feet in front of us, I saw a coyote come through the ditch, across the road, and angle across my friends' driveway and orchard between their house and the road. At first I thought it was a fox, as it was quite red, but then I realized that it was probably the same coyote my daughter and I saw in the field behind mine when riding last week. Anyway, when we got to where it crossed the road, Kia found the scent. Was she ever interested! She followed the track across the drive and angled across the orchard; she never goes into the field on her own, as she wants to go up the drive to see my friends and their dog. We got halfway through the orchard before I could distract her enough to continue to the house. The scent was HOT! I can just imagine the coyote's laughter should it see Kia heavy on the scent, ready to run the varmint down.... all eight pounds of her!

Then there are the times there is a skunk around the house....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Hunter.jpg (40.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: gif voles2.gif (55.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg voles.jpg (17.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: gif Terriers.gif (86.4 KB, 9 views)
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!